Monday, November 23, 2009

Zippy bedrooms want your attention.

In the latest House Beautiful I was completely taken by Mary McDonald's home that she designed in LA. In regard to the incredible bedroom she said, "People have rules about bedrooms, that they're always supposed to be soft and pastel. Why can't they be zippy and vibrant?" I thought to myself, "You know Mary McDonald, you really have a point there." Here are some zip-tastic bedrooms.

Vibrant yellow and busy wallpaper everywhere, I've always loved looking at this bedroom. Via Ooh La La Blog.

In this somewhat simple bedroom by Sheila Bridges, she uses a bright green to jazz up the room. The contrast of the black, white and green makes this room quite exciting.

This color blue is gorgeous! I especially like the bold color wall with the busy bedspread. I bet that allows you to use more than one duvet cover and change the room if you so desire. From Living Etc.
Leave it to Jamie Drake to deliver a bright bedroom. Pinks and purples are everywhere you look.
Sixx Design. The bare bones of this room are quite tame, but with the drapery fabric and upholstered bed and the large scale color filled painting over the bed you are not bored.


At first glance, these rooms do nothing but delight me. There is so much to look at and bright colors to distract me. Personally though, I prefer a calmer color palette in my own bedroom. I have blue/grey walls and a simple white matelasse bedspread. There is still plenty to look at: books, pretty lamps, photographs and art work on my walls. I think Mary McDonald makes a valid point. We see so many whimsical and calming bedrooms, why not have an energetic and jazzy one? It certainly stands out.


Alicia B.

6 comments:

emily said...

jazzy

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

I liked the Mary MacDonald article, too-but I have to agree with you, Alicia. Even though I like the way these bedrooms look and I would love to stay in them as a hotel room (ie for a few nights), I want my own bedroom calm & restful, instead of loud & attention seeking.

Regardless, still love looking and would still love to create a room like these (love that tufted wall)!

Robin said...

My bedroom is very white and taupe and soothing, but that last picture is very inspiring.... I may have to change things up for winter now....

ashie said...

very fun! and at the end of the day we all turn out the light anyway, am i right?

ashie said...

am i right?

Dumbwit Tellher said...

These are indeed all fabulous. The only one I'd have trouble closing my eyes is the black & yellow room. Great for guests because we all would likely not do that for ourselves. Happy new week to you ~