Sunday, October 19, 2008

House Proud...House Amazing.

Today was an absolutely lovely day in New York City. I decided to finally take myself over to the Cooper Hewitt Museum on 92nd street. I have been dying to see their exhibit, House Proud: Nineteenth Century Watercolor Interiors from the Thaw Collection. The watercolors, in incredible detail documented the interiors of many different aristocratic families all over Europe, showing architectural elements, mouldings, wallpapers, carpets etc. It was so amazing to see, people think that design is daring today, but with all the colors and patterns mixed in these interiors, it seems like we are somehow tamer now. Below are some of my favorite images from the website.



This coffered ceiling with little designs in each one is echoed on the carpet. This is the dressing room of King Ludwig I. He's got it going on, I'd say.


Isn't that ceiling canopy amazing? From The Japanese Salon in Villa Hugel in Austria.

This interior is so amazingly Arts & Crafts. The fabric on the settee is very William Morris (my first husband).



Chinese inspired room. My fave part is the delicately painted ceiling with birds flying on it. Adorbs.



So many things in here are catching my eye--the over the top ceiling, the double chairs in the foreground, and the way the paintings are hung. AAHHH. Love it.


If you haven't been to this exhibit, you should get there the next chance you get. It closes on January 25, which seems far away but these sorts of things sneak up on you! Plus the museum store had every art or design book you (I) could ever want. I got some note cards for the exhibit. Great Sunday.


Alicia B.

1 comment:

Things That Inspire said...

WOW! What a great post, and what a great exhibit. I have not been to NYC in years...I need to plan a trip before January 25th!